*26.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第二十六首
是幻想--并不是男友还是女伴,
I lived with visons for my company
多少年来,跟我生活在一起,做我的
Instead of men and women, years ago,
亲密的知友。它们为我而奏的音乐,
And found them gentle mates, nor thought to know
我不想听到还有比这更美的。
A sweeter music than they played to me.
可是幻想的轻飘的紫袍,免不了
But soon their trailing purple was not free
沾上人世的尘土,那琴声终于逐渐
Of this world's dust, -- their lutes did silent grow,
消歇,而我也在那些逐渐隐灭的
And myself grew faint and blind blow
眸子下头晕眼花。于是,亲爱的,
Their vanishing eyes. Then THOU didst com ... to be,
你来了--仿佛来接替它们。就象
Boloved, wha they seemed. their shining fronts,
河水盛入了洗礼盆、水就更圣洁,
Their songs, their splendours, ( better, yet the same,
它们的辉煌的前额、甜蜜的歌声,
As river-water hallowed into fonts )
都聚集在你一身,通过你而征服了我,
Met in thee, and from out thee overcame
给予我最大的满足。上帝的礼物
My soul with satisfaction of all wants --
叫人间最绚烂的梦幻失落了颜色。
Because God's gifts put man's best dreams to shame.
*27.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第二十七首
爱人,我亲爱的人,是你把我,
My own Beloved, who hast lifted me
一个跌倒在尘埃的人,扶起来,
From this drear flat of earth where I was thrown,
又在我披垂的鬓发间吹入了一股
And, in betwixt the languid ringlets, blown
生气,好让我的前额又亮光光地
A life-breath, till the forehead hopefully
闪耀着希望--有所有的天使当着
Shines out again, as all the angels see,
你救难的吻为证!亲爱的人呀,
Before thy saving kiss! My own, my own,
当你来到我跟前,人世已舍我远去,
Who camest to me when the world was gone,
而一心仰望上帝的我、却获得了你!
And I who looked for only God, found thee!
我发现了你,我安全了,强壮了,快乐了。
I find thee; I am safe, and strong, and glad.
象一个人站立在干洁的香草地上
As one who stands in dewless aspodel,
回顾他曾捱过来的苦恼的年月;
Looks backward on the tedious time he had
我抬起了胸脯,拿自己作证:
In the upper life, -- so I, with bosom-swell,
这里,在一善和那一恶之间,爱,
Make witness, here, between the good and bad,
象死一样强烈,带来了同样的解脱。
That Love, as strong as death, retrieves as well.
*28.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第二十八首
我的信!一堆堆死沉沉的纸,苍白又无声,
My letters! all dead paper, ... mute and white!
可是它们又象具有生命、颤动在
And yet they seem alive and quivering
我拿不稳的手内--是那发抖的手
Against my tremulous hands while loose the string
解开丝带,让它们今晚散满在
And let them drop down on my knee to-night.
我膝上。这封说:他多盼望有个机会,
This said, ... he wished to have me in his sight
能作为朋友,见一见我。这一封又订了
Once, as a friend: this fixed a day in spring
春天里一个日子,来见我,跟我
To come and touch my hand ... a simple thing,
握握手--平常的事,我可哭了!
Yet I wept for it! -- this, ... the paper's light ...
这封说(不多几个字):“亲,我爱你!”
Said, _Dear I love thee_; and I sank and quailed
而我却惶恐得象上帝的未来在轰击
As if God's future thundered on my past.
我的过去。这封说:“我属于你!”那墨迹,
This said, _I am thine_ -- and so its ink has paled
紧贴在我悸跳的心头,久了,褪了色。
With lying at my heart that beat too fast.
而这封。。。爱啊,你的言词有什么神妙,
And this ... O Love, thy words have ill availed
假如这里吐露的,我敢把它再说!
If, what this said, I dared repeat at last!
*29.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第二十九首
我想你!我的相思围抱住了你,
I think of thee! -- my thoughts do twine and bud
绕着你而抽芽,象蔓藤卷缠着树木、
About thee, as wild vines, about a tree,
遍发出肥大的叶瓣,除了那蔓延的
Put out broad leaves, and soon there's nought to see
青翠把树身掩藏,就什么都看不见。
Except the straggling green which hides the wood.
可是我的棕榈树呀,你该明白,
Yet, O my palm-tree, be it understood
我怎愿怀着我的思念而失去了
I will not have my thoughts instead of thee
更亲更宝贵的你!我宁可你显现
Who art dearer, better! Rather, instantly
你自己的存在;象一株坚强的树
Renew thy presence. As a strong tree should,
沙沙地摇撼枝杈,挣出了赤裸的
Rustle thy boughs and set thy trunk all bare,
躯干来,叫这些重重叠叠的绿叶
And let these bands of greenery which insphere thee,
都给摔下来狼藉满地。因为在
Drop heavily down, ... burst, shattered, everywhere!
看着你、听着你、在你荫影里呼吸着
Because, in this deep joy to see and hear thee
清新的空气,洋溢着深深的喜悦时,
And breathe within thy shadow a new air,
我再不想你--我是那么地贴紧你。
I do not think of thee -- I am too near thee.
*30.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十首
今晚,我泪眼晶莹,恍惚瞧见了
I see thine image through my tears to-night,
你的形象;然而不是今朝,我还看到
And yet to-day I saw thee smiling. How
你在笑?爱人,这是为什么?是你,
Refer the cause? -- Beloved, is it thou
还是我--是谁叫我黯然愁苦?
Or I, who makes me sad? The acolyte
一个浸沉在欢颂和崇拜中的僧侣
amid the chanted joy and thankful rite
把苍白无知觉的额头投在祭坛下,
May so fall flat, with pale insensate brow
或许就这样俯伏。正象他耳内轰响着
On the alter-stair. I hear thy voice and vow,
“阿门”的歌声;我听得你亲口的盟誓,
Perplexed, uncertain, since thou art out of sight,
心里却一片怔忡不安,因为不见你
As he, in his swooning ears, the choir's amen.
在我的眼前。亲爱的,你当真爱我?
Beloved, dost thou love? or did I see all
我当真看见了那恍如梦境的荣光,
The glory as I dreamed, and fainted when
并且经不起那强烈的逼射而感到了
Too vehement light dilated my ideal,
眩晕?这光可会照临,就象那
For my soul's eyes? Will that light come again,
盈盈的泪,一颗颗滚下来,又热又真?
As now these tears come ... falling hot and real?
*31.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十一首
EBB "Sonnets from the Portuguese", No. XXXI
你来了!还没开口,心意都表明了。
Thou comest! all is said without a word.
我坐在你的容光下,象沐浴在阳光中的
I sit beneath thy looks, as children do
婴孩,那闪烁的眸子无声地泄露了
In the noon-sun, with souls that tremble through
颤动在那颗小心里的无比的喜悦。
Their happy eyelids from an unaverred
看哪,我这最后的疑虑是错了!
Yet prodigal inward joy. Behold, I erred
可是我不能只埋怨自己,你想,
In that last doubt! and yet I cannot rue
这是怎样的情景,怎样的时辰?
The sin most, but the occasion ... that we two
这一刻,我俩竞轻易地并站在一起。
Should for a moment stand unministered
啊,靠近我,让我挨着你吧;当我
By a mutal presence. Ah, keep near and close,
涌起了疑虑,你宽坦的心胸给我
Thou dove-like help! and, when my fears would rise,
清澈而温柔的慰抚;用你崇高的
With thy broad heart serenely interpose.
光辉来孵育我那些思念吧;失了
Brood down with thy divine sufficiencies
你的庇护,它们就要战栗--就象
These thoughtswhich tremble when berest of those,
那羽翼未丰的小鸟给撇下在天空里。
Like callow birds left desert to the skies.
*32.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十二首
EBB "Sonnets from the Portuguese", no. XXXII
当金黄的太阳升起来,第一次照上
The first time that the sun rose on thine oath
你爱的盟约,我就预期着明月
To love me, I looked forward to the moon
来解除那情结、系的太早太急。
To slacken all those bonds which seemed too soon
我只怕爱的容易、就容易失望,
And quickly tied to make a lasting troath.
引起悔心。再回顾我自己,我哪象
Quick-loving hearts, I thought, may quickly loathe;
让你爱慕的人!--却象一具哑涩
And, looking on myself, I seemed not one
破损的弦琴、配不上你那么清澈
For such man's love! -- more like an out-of-tune
美妙的歌声!而这琴,匆忙里给用上,
Worn voil, a good singer would be wroth
一发出沙沙的音,就给恼恨地
To spoil his song with, and which, snatched in haste,
扔下。我这么说,并不曾亏待
Is laid down at the first ill-sounding note.
自己,可是我冤了你。在乐圣的
I did not wrong myself so, but I placed
手里,一张破琴也可以流出完美
A wrong on _thee_. For perfect strains may float
和谐的韵律;而凭一张弓,真诚的
'Neath master-hands, from instruments defaced, --
灵魂,可以在勒索、也同时在溺爱。
And great souls, at one stroke, may do and dote.
*33.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十三首
对啦,叫我的小名儿呀!让我再听见
Yes, call me by my pet-name! let me hear
我一向飞奔著去答应的名字--那时,
The name I used to run at, when a child
还是个小女孩,无忧无虑,沉浸于
From innocent play, and leave the cowslips piled,
嬉戏,偶尔从一大堆野草野花间
To glance up in some face that proved me dear
抬起头来,仰望那用和蔼的眼
With the look of its eyes. I miss the clear
抚爱我的慈颜。我失去了那仁慈
Fond voices which, being drawn and reconciled
亲切的呼唤,那灵衬给我的是
Into the music of Heaven's undefiled,
一片寂静,任凭我高呼著上天,
Call me no longer. Silence on the bier,
那慈声归入了音乐华严的天国。
While I call God ... call God! -- So let thy mouth
让你的嘴来承继那寂灭的清音。
Be heir to those who are now exanimate.
采得北方的花,好完成南方的花束,
Gather the north flowers to complete the south,
在迟暮的岁月里赶上早年的爱情。
And catch the early love up in the late.
对啦,叫我的小名儿吧,我,就随即
Yes, call me by that name, -- and I, in truth,
答应你,怀著当初一模样的心情。
With the same heart, will answer and not wait.
*34.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十四首
怀著当初一模样的心情,我说,
With the same heart, I said, I'll answer thee
我要答应你,当你叫我的小名。
As those, when thou shalt call me by my name --
唉,这分明是空的愿心!我的心
Lo, the vain promise! Is the same, the same,
还能是一模样--饱受了人生的磨折?
Perplexed and ruffled by life's strategy?
从前,我听得一声喊,就扔下花束,
When called before, I told how hastily
要不,从游戏里跳起,奔过去答应,
I dropped my flower or brake off from a game,
一路上都是我的笑容笑声在致敬,
To run and answer with the smile that came
眼星里还闪烁著方才那一片欢乐。
At play last moment, and went on with me
现在我应你,我舍下一片沉重的
Through my obedience. When I answer now,
忧思,从孤寂里惊起。可是,我的心
I drop a grave thought, break from solitude;
还是要向你飞奔,你不是我一种的
Yet still my heart goes to thee ... ponder how ...
善,而是百善所钟!我最可爱的人,
Not as to a single good, but all my good!
你把手按著我的心口,同意吗:孩童的
Lay thy hand on it, best one, and allow
小脚从没跑得这么快--象这血轮。
That no child's foot could run fast as this blood.
*35.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十五首
要是我把一切都交给你,你可愿意
If I leave all for thee, wilt thou exchange
作为交换,把什么都归给我?
And be all to me? Shall I never miss
我可是永不会缺少家常的谈笑、
Home-talk and blessing and the common kiss
互酬接吻、彼此的祝福?也不会
That comes to each in turn, nor count it strange,
感到生疏、当我抬起头来打量
When I look up, to drop on a new range
新的墙壁和地板--家以外另一个家?
Of walls and floors, ... another home than this?
不,我还要问,你可愿顶替那一双
Nay, wilt thou fill that place by me which is
瞑合了的柔眼在我身旁留下的位置
Filled by dead eyes too tender to know change?
而一样地不懂得变心?这可是难!
That's hardest. If to conquer love, has tried,
征服爱如果费事,征服怨,那就更难。
To conquer grief, tries more ... as all things prove,
怨是,爱不算,再得加上个怨。我的怨,
For grief indeed s love and grief beside.
唉,那么深,就那么不轻易爱。可是,
Alas, I have grieved so I am hard to love.
你依然爱我--你愿?敞开些你的心,
Yet love me -- wilt thou? Open thine heart wide,
好让你那羽翼湿透的鸽子扑进来!
And fold within, the wet wings of thy dove.
*36.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十六首
当初我俩相见、一见而倾心的时光,
When we met first and loved, I did not build
我怎敢在这上面,建起大理石宫殿,
Upon the event with marble. Could it mean
难道这也会久长--那来回摇摆在
To last, a love set pendulous between
忧伤与忧伤间的爱?不,我害怕,
Sorrow and sorrow? Nay, I rather thrilled,
我信不过那似乎浮泛在眼前的
Distrusting every light that seemed to gild
一片金光,不敢伸出手指去碰一下。
The onward path, and feared to overlean
到后来才坦然、坚定了;可我又觉得,
A finger even. And, though I have grown serene
上帝总该另有恐惧安排在后面。。。。。。
And strong since then, I think God has willed
爱啊,要不然,这双紧握著的手
A still renewable fear ... O love, O troth ...
就不会接触;这热热的亲吻,一旦
Lest these enclasped hands should never hold,
从嘴唇上冷却了,何以不变成虚文?
This mutual kiss drop down between us both
爱情啊,你快变了心吧!要是命运
As an unowned thing, once the lips being cold.
这样注定:他,为了信守一个盟誓
And Love, be false! if _he_, too keep one oath,
就非得拿牺牲一个喜悦作代价。
Must lose one joy, by his life's star foretold.
*37.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十七首
原谅我,啊,请原谅吧,并非我无知,
Pardon, oh, pardon, that my soul should make
不明白一切德性全归于你、属于你;
Of all that strong divineness which I know
可是,你在我心里构成的形象,
For thine and thee, an image only so
却就象一堆虚浮不实的泥沙!
Formed of the sand, and fit to shift and break.
是那年深月久的孤僻,象遭了
It is that distant years which did not take
当头一棒,从你面前尽往后缩,
Thy sovranty [1], recoiling with a blow,
迫使我眩晕的知觉涌起了疑虑和
Have forced my swimming brain to undergo
恐惧,盲目地舍弃了你纯洁的面目,
Their doubt and dread, and blindly to forsake
最崇高的爱给我歪曲成最荒谬的
Thy purity of likeness and distort
形状。就象一个沉了船的异教徒,
Thy worthiest love to a worthless counterfeit.
安然脱险,上了岸,酬谢保佑他的
As if a shipwrecked Pagan, safe in port,
海神,献上了一尾木雕的海豚--
His guardian sea-god to commemorate,
那两腮呼呼作响、尾巴掀起了
Should set a sculptured porpoise, gills a snort
怒浪的庞大的海族--在庙宇的门墙内。
And vibrant tail, within the temple-gate.
[1] sovranty = sovereignty
*38.EEB
白朗宁夫人抒情十四行诗集第三十八首
第一次他亲我,他只是亲了一下
First time he kissed me, he but only kissed
在写这诗篇的手,从此我的手就越来
The fingers of this hand wherewith I write;
越白净晶莹,不善作世俗的招呼,
And ever since, it grew more clean and white, ...
而敏于呼召:“啊,快听哪,快听
Slow to the world-greetings, quick with its `Oh, list,'
天使在说话哪!”即使在那儿戴上一个
When the angels speak. A ring of amethyst
紫玉瑛戒指,也不会比那第一个吻
I could not wear here, plainer to my sight,
在我的眼里显现得更清楚。
Than that first kiss. The second passed in height
第二个吻,就往高处升,它找到了
The first, and sought the forehead